Top 10 Bars in Downtown Austin
There is something for everyone at these 10 downtown Austin bars...
- The Elephant Room: Dark and full of atmosphere, Austin’s cool jazz bar in a basement! Definitely a place to sip a Manhattan.
- Red Fez: The DJs mix things you’d never expect here, like Kanye West with Oasis. Great, exotic décor and even hookahs make this downtown Austin bar and dance club unique.
- Key Bar: This patio bar attracts young professionals for happy hour and late night schmoozing – but perhaps also for the delicious mixed drinks served in shakers with homemade popsicles.
- Maggie Mae’s: This downtown Austin bar is always packed with college kids. It has a big rooftop bar and a downstairs dance floor. You can find DJ’s, live music and even sports on the big screen at Maggie Mae’s.
- Club de Ville: With the view of a huge limestone cliff and funky patio tables, this downtown Austin bar is just as enjoyable without live music, but the live music certainly helps. A favorite spot when the weather warms up!
- J Blacks: I’ll let the fact that this downtown Austin bar has a sister in Dallas and keep it on the list. The upscale lounge is always full of beautiful people who are fun to watch, and the happy hour appetizers are delicious.
- Mean Eyed Cat: This downtown Austin bar is off the beaten path, but not for long, considering the new apartments and condos being built around it. The entire bar is a tribute to Johnny Cash – you just have to see it to understand. They only serve beer and wine, but the beer menu is extensive.
- Donn’s Depot: Just across from Mean Eyed Cat is this neighborhood dive housed inside a real Missouri-Pacific (yes, that’s what MoPac stands for) railroad car! They’ve got live music 6 nights a week and plenty of dancing, with a crowd of all ages.
- Jackalope: A notorious dive bar with great burgers, Jackalope is dark and stylish. There’s always a diverse crowd and good music.
- The Driskill: Yes, it’s a hotel, but The Driskill has one of the most atmospheric bars in town. Soak up the Texas charm and history and keep your eyes peeled for politicos in this downtown Austin bar.