Let the SXSW 2010 Madness Begin
It appears the SXSW media frenzy has come earlier than usual this year. It's just less than a month out, but the twitter/blogger/media buzz is already loud and, well, buzzing. So I've come to your rescue, this is life in austin readers, and put together the beginnings of a spreadsheet:
I will be updating it as more and more free parties are announced. Like all my posts, I'm only listing parties I'd go to. The spreadsheet also only has parties that are FREE and OPEN TO ANYONE (though you may need to RSVP), as well as offer something for free--food, booze, t-shirts, etc. Let's face it (blasphemy alert): I don't go to SXSW for the music, I go for the crazy atmosphere and energy of all the revelers, not just the bands. So I'm looking for more than my fave band (though Fader Fort usually hosts a few of those), I'm looking for other goodies too. Sweeping SXSW generalizations:
- Interactive has the best night/happy hour parties. Great for girls, because it's mostly dudes. Usually the best swag too. My fave days of SXSW.
- Film has some really cool, really big premieres that anyone can get into for $8. Worth waiting in line. Know little to nothing about film parties. Do they not happen?
- Music is the big enchilada, and features stacked day parties. It can be harder to find free parties and booze at night.
Here are my Top Ten SXSW Recommendations:
- Decide and commit to:
- GO BIG: hit tons of events every night
- GO MEDIUM: hit just one event every night
- GO WEEKEND WARRIOR: just hit the music festival. For this, you pretty much need only walk down East Sixth during the day to find free booze and food. You're on your own at night, but you'll likely be exhausted and too drunk to really know if you start at noon, so do that.
- Drink lots of water. 1:1 with booze especially as the hours wear on. Your hangover will thank you.
- RSVP to every single party you mightpossiblymaybeI'llthinkaboutitletyouknow attend. Much better to be a no-show than a no-go at the door.
- Get on twitter. Make friends.
- Charge your cell. You want to meet up with your (new) friends.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Wear sunscreen. It's hot.
- Eat. Food is free or cheap, and plentiful. Kebabalicious rocks, they should have two trucks up by SXSW (7th & San Jacinto, 2ndish & Congress).
- Sleep 8 hours every night. See: #s 2, 6, 7
- Enjoy the street scene. There's nothing else like it. (In other words, don't bitch, don't be a drama queen, and enjoy your free beer!)
Other sources for info:
And that's it. Go out into the wide, wide SXSW world, grasshoppers. Use this spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Asjskwdlt0podDk4V2R6T1VScHNGa05kQ0hyd2Y4d3c&hl=en