Your Weekend Music Bucket List 11.18.2011
Friday is finally here and it's time for some music. Check out the best of what lies ahead.
1. A good concert is hard to beat. However, when you throw in an awesome performance on top of the music, you have a win/win situation. Such is always the case with rock legends Gwar. They will be taking over the stage at The Marchesa Hall and Theatre at 7:00 p.m. Be ready for some awesome antics. Get your tickets here.
2. Akina Adderley and The Vintage Playboys will be celebrating Nat Adderley at Momo's. Great jazz is what you can expect from this. "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy: An 80th Birthday Celebration of Nat Adderley" will start at 8:00 p.m. Cover at the door.
3. Local heroes Ghostland Observatory just seem to keep getting bigger and bigger. The band will be stoping at the Moody Theater again tonight at 8:00 p.m. Get your tickets here.
1. If you're craving a brutal dose of energy, head over to the Mohawk at 9:00 p.m. for some punk rock courtesy of the Melt-Bananas. Covert at the door.
2. If you haven't checked them out yet, the Tex-Mex Tadeadas are bringing conjunto music to East Austin's Plaza Saltillo on Saturdays. This week Conjunto Romo - Los Little Rascals will be providing the tunes. The music starts at 3:00 p.m. Bes thing about it? The concert is free.
3. If you want to move your body, drop by El Sol y La Luna at 9:00 p.m. for the Austin Salsa Fest, featuring Combo Saborea and Mona Loca. Free concert.
1. Sunday is all about keeping it local this week. Your first choice is checking out Alejandro Escovedo along with Jon Dee Graham at The Continental Club. This weekly gig is now a legend in the making. The music starts at 8:00 p.m.
2. Local jazzman Jeff Lofton will be holding his standard third Sunday of the month gig at the Waterloo Ice House at 11:00 a.m. One of the best jazz musicians in the world playing near you? Yeah, go check it out.
3. If you're in the mood for a ride, drive out to the Gruene Hall and catch local fiddler Ruby Jane in action. The music starts at 12:30 p.m.